Friday, February 29, 2008

I'm Nervous

Today my secretary was asking me about my plans for next year, "are you leaving?" We discuss our shared disdain for the 9 to 5 about every other day. "First I have to decide I will be satisfied earning less than half what I'm earning now," was my reply. To which she asserted "but you'll be so much happier."

I would. But would I be nervous and afraid everyday as well? Am I nervous and afraid everyday now thinking about it while I don't even have the flexibility I am craving? Yeah and yeah.

Then I went to the gym after work. Ran a few laps, took a dip in the pool, then stepped into the huge jacuzzi and let the hot water take over. I imagined what it would be like to be here at 10 a.m., when all the other boys are down in the office sweating in the dry air for that extra money I wouldn't be earning.

So on Monday I am going to call human resources and stop putting money into my 401k, and start plowing every extra dime into my savings account, so I can sleep at night without a cushy job, so I can hit the jacuzzi mid morning.

No comments: