Sunday, March 9, 2008

Burned Today, Lesson Learned for Tomorrow

Photobucket

So when my new client showed up today she had already completed her return, and wanted me to review it for her. I spent about an hour answering her questions, at which point I asked her if she wanted me to take care of the return, to which she replied "would it be less since I have already done this?"

"No." Of course not, I still have to redo the return, and fix all the errors you already knew about but didn't know how to treat, which is my job and why you were going to pay me.

"I guess so," she answered, obviously feeling obligated since she had already eaten an hour of my time. I told her it was her decision, and she could go ahead and finish the return herself if she wished. She did offer to pay me for my time, to which I simply asked her to refer anyone who really did want my help, and wanted to pay me.

Lesson learned, next time I will asked the person I am meeting with, "what would you like me to do?" Before I meet with them. If you would simply like me to answer some questions, and I'd be happy to help for $50 an hour.

On a better note, somebody else approached me at an opening last night and inquired about having me take care of their 1040, at least I thought that what they wanted, I'll definitely clarify before I set up a meeting.

No comments: